The Archdiocese of Tellicherry is an ecclesiastical province of the Syro-Malabar Church in Kerala, India. The Diocese of Tellicherry was erected on 31st December 1953 by the Papal Bull Ad Christi ecclesiam regendam of Pope Pius XII, against the backdrop of large-scale migration of thousands of Syro-Malabar Catholics from South to the Northern forestlands of Kerala. The boundaries of the diocese were extended in 1955 to some districts in the states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, for the pastoral care of the migrants settled there. The diocese grew up fast and became a stronghold of Catholic Church in this region within a short period. The diocese was bifurcated in 1973 and the diocese of Mananthavady was erected. Again, the Diocese of Tellicherry was bifurcated twice, in 1986 to form the diocese of Thamarassery and in 1999 to form the diocese of Belthangady. The diocese was raised to the stature of Metropolitan Archdiocese by the Papal Bull Spirituali bono Christi fidelium of Pope John Paul II in 1995. Bishop Mar Sebastian Valloppilly was the first Bishop of the Diocese of Tellicherry. The Archdiocese enjoyed the gracious leadership of Archbishop Mar George Valiamattam from 1st May 1989 to 30th October 2014. On 30th October 2014 he resigned and Archbishop Mar George Njaralakatt was installed as the new Archbishop of Tellicherry. He assumed office on the same day.